The past four weeks have flown by so quickly for me that I’ll have to write a brief overview of each to keep you from boredom;)
About four Mondays ago, some of the summer staff crew headed out to Ingalls Lake for level 2 of back country training. The purpose was to give us a higher level of knowledge and readiness for taking students on multi-day trips into the back country. The leaders were along for the ride as each of us gained the opportunity to lead the crew through challenges and different types of terrain. We spent 3 days in the beautiful Ingalls area that had an amazing view of Mount Stuart and the Enchantments. The 4th day consisted of practicing river crossings with large groups. Throughout the week I was given some challenges that helped me grow as a leader and discover my style and personality in handling these back country situations. I had a chance to practice many skills like orienteering, group management, missing people, medical emergencies, and snow field crossings (some were genuine situations!).
“For you are my rock and my fortress; and for your name’s sake you lead me and guide me.”
~Psalm 31:3
About three Mondays ago, a team of us peaced out from the ranch and made our way toward the Methow Valley. With Shane leading the way and Chris, Jessica, and Dan as the guide team, we met a high school youth group in Mazama. I almost immediately fell in love with the hearts of these students as most of them shared their desire to grow closer to God and to challenge themselves in the coming week. “Abide in Christ” was the theme for this trip and it was based out of John 15:5 where Jesus talks about the vine and the branches. Prior to meeting us, the students had made rubber bracelets with the theme and verse and tye dye teeshirts...AND they made some for each of us guides too!
For the next three days, we used inflatable kayaks (IKs) to meander our way down the Methow River. We stopped on islands to each meals and set up camp at night. This was the first time I had ever guided an extended river trip and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Everyday there was something new I learned about myself and how to be a better guide. Probably one of my favorite parts on the river that week was scouting and planning to take our group through a class IV rapid called Black Canyon. It was super cool to be a part of the planning and “behind-the-scenes” workings of getting our team safely down.
This trip was such a great opportunity to get to know many students who have graduated and are moving on into higher education. I was able to have some amazing talks to some of them about what the Lord has been doing in this transition stage of life. Every time a conversation or experience is concluded I feel like I have been more blessed by the student than I could ever dream of blessing them. It was so exciting to hear that at the end of our trip, students were inspired to be more serious in their walk with Christ and have more of a desire to spend time in His Word.
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.”
~John 15:1-8
After the Methow trip, 7 high school ladies came to the ranch for a horse camp. Megan and I were food and gear staff for the trip. This means we get the food and gear prepped and ready to go by the time the camp starts and we continue to create the meals and snacks for the campers and guides (AND play fiddle around the campfire at night:D). Being allergic to the horses, I haven’t had much chance to interact with this side of Stonewater, so I was extremely grateful to be a part of this trip and have the ability to serve.
“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.”
~2 Corinthians 5:17
“By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
~John 13:35
No comments:
Post a Comment