Thursday, August 2, 2012

Grace

Today was a bit rough for me. Not sure why, but the devil certainly had his tricks he tried to pull. We had a group of multiple Nazarene youth groups that came from all over the northwest all consisting of middle and high school students. Our guide team didn't have much prep or programming time, so we just jumped into the day without knowing much about the group.

My crew was on the rock which consists of teaching them how to climb and belay each other. Climbing and repelling can be a scary thing...you gotta trust the anchors, ropes, harnesses, and your friends who have your rope in their hands. We have some great moments of learning and growing with students on the rock.

I had a hard time finding the groove this morning. How do I create good conversation with these guys? I don't want to get too heavy, but how do I make this short time together meaningful?

Long story short, once I started talking about Jesus and why I love to be there to climb with students...Once I started asking them what they think we can learn about God and our relationship with Him from our experience today...Once they gave thought provoking answers...my day turned around.

It's all about Jesus. Taking that step. Talking about Him. Because He made me who I am. Why I'm here now.

I also received a lightbulb today.

If God is the belayer on our lives, He's got us in case we fall. He also has a larger and broader perspective than we do about where we are in life's journey (the rock). When a belayer gives the climber hints and tips on where they should go, sometimes the climber doesn't listen and takes his own way instead. When this happens, the belayer doesn't just stop caring for the climber. Even though the climber didn't follow the belayer's guidance, the belayer still makes sure the climber arrives safely up and down the rock.

I certainly felt God's grace today.

God was nudging me all morning to talk about Jesus, but I didn't do it. I wanted the morning to go my way, and it didn't go so well. But once I listened to Him and started sharing with the students, He was right there. Helping me. Continuing to show grace in spite of my earlier defiance.

Psalm 136

No comments:

Post a Comment