Friday, June 29, 2012


6.27.12
Two whole days off! I took a bit of time to spend at the lake to unwind and reflect a bit more on the last few weeks. Woke up early to a lovely morning and met the fam in town to start an event-filled day! First, I picked the sis up from swim practice, then we headed to Cashmere to pick up some food for Telos’ summer BBQ celebration. I was able to talk and meet some of my dad’s clients and listen to an amazing husband/wife band “The Wicks.” Then my mom, bro, and Luke headed back to Leavenworth to pick up a couch, and back home to make dinner for a swim meet in Wenatchee. Headed to the swim meet in Wenatchee where the bro and sis and many other not-so-little swimmers-anymore warmed my heart with their amazing skills:) How amazing it is to witness the physical abilities and talents God gives to some people - we are certainly fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14)!

My second day off was spent getting some errands done before my family headed out on their California camping adventure. I was able to spend time and share many laughs with the bro.
On Saturday, I was able to ride along on a REAL trip with REAL students! YAY! It was great. The group was about 75 in size, so we had lots of boats in the water. We experienced beautiful sunshine, thunder, and a few downpours. It was really cool for me to see how programming and student interaction goes on a trip. Since I’m not fully certified in raft guiding yet, I was able to take a back seat and be a fellow paddler with the students. For a portion of time on the river, Jared (the guide) had us close our eyes. Then he talked about trust and how it’s easier to follow the leader’s instructions when our eyes are open. Sometimes it’s difficult to follow God’s leading because we can’t see when He’s taking us, so we have to fully trust that He know how to handle our direction. God's Word says: "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you" (Psalm 32:8). 
Saturday night I was able to spend time with some friends who were in town from Spokane. They also joined me at Cornerstone Bible Church in the morning. What a blessing godly friendships are! I’ve only known them a little while and don’t get to see them often, but I certainly feel as though I’ve known them for years. We can talk about anything and continue to love and respect each other; how sweet that is!
I met up with the all day raft crew on Sunday afternoon and helped them with the group they had. It was such a blessing to talk to the students about their lives and what they like to do. Since I wasn’t on the river, I didn’t get a whole lot of quality time with them, but they were a joyful group!
Some people noticed an abandoned wrapped boat on a bridge pillar, so they devised a plan to retrieve it. Sunday evening gave them that opportunity, and I couldn’t resist joining in on the fun. Unfortunately, a crew had already got to the boat first, but after quite a few hours they weren’t successful. They ended up leaving some lines in the water, so being the good river citizens my friends are, they decided to clean them up. It was super cool to watch and be a part of such an operation! I learned a little something about mechanical advantage and how rock climbing skills can be advantageous in water rescue!
Monday morning was spent working on projects around the ranch and then an organized activity that included shooting guns and eating supper out of a dutch oven in a thunderstorm! Woohoo! Then a lovely evening at a staffer’s house playing games.
Tuesday was an “office day.” Office days are not exactly spent in an office, well, they are spent in our office. I continued on the project started Monday which was building a tent platform. It turned out really nice and our crew was able to start a new one! So excited to have people come enjoy staying on these! Yesterday evening a group of us went to the lake to make dinner, enjoy a fire, and kayak! I was extremely hesitant at first to roll the yak, but had a great teacher who encouraged me so I tried. It was really cold, but I’m so glad I tried. I’ve got a long way to go, but super stoked to keep practicing:)
Today my heart is heavy for those in Colorado experiencing the threat and demise of the fires. Please pray for them as they evacuate and deal with the loss. Pray they lean on the Lord who will give comfort and peace in this difficult time. Also for those working on the fire, that God would keep them safe and give them strength to do their job well.




(photo from Nick Page, a friend fighting down there)
"Have you not known? 
Have you not heard? 
The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. 
He does not faint or grow weary; 
His understanding is unsearchable. 
He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might He increases strength. 
Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; 
but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; 
they shall mount up with wings like eagles; 
they shall run and not be weary; 
they shall walk and not faint."
Isaiah 40:28-31

No comments:

Post a Comment